⏩ Sign Up to Get Bonus
Although the future continuous is quite common in everyday communication, it doesn't appear much in the tests, but you still need to learn to avoid the unfortunate trap that you may fall into!
You might also like: ALL the English Grammar Basics You Need
The future continuous is used to talk about an action in progress at a specified time in the future.
Structure of Future Continuous Tense
POSITIVE FORM (+) :
- S + will + be + V-ing
- I will be playing volleyball at 6pm tomorrow.
- He will be working at the factory when you come.
- Natalie will be taking dinner at home.
- She will be selling honey in the next morning.
- He will be improving his performance for sure.
NEGATIVE FORM (-) :
- S + will not + be + V-ing
- I will not be sleeping when you telephone me.
- The children won’t be playing with their friends when you come this weekend.
- She will not be telling lie to him.
- They will not be coming with us to the office.
QUESTION FORM (?) :
- Will + S + be + V-ing
- Will mom be cooking lunch for me?
- Will I be waiting for you in the hall?
- Will she be washing his clothes?
- Will you be waiting for the bus at 8 a.m next Tuesday?
WH QUESTION (?):
- Wh + will + be + V-ing + O?
- When will Moana be coming back from Singapore?
- What will your sister be giving me on my birth day?
- Where will I be staying in Paris?
- Why will he be sending so many hugs to you?
|POSITIVE FORM (+)||NEGATIVE FORM (-)||QUESTION FORM (?)|
|I will be giving||I will not be giving||Will I be giving?|
|You will be giving||You will not be giving||Will you be giving?|
|We will be giving||We will not be giving||Will we be giving?|
|He will be giving||He will not be giving||Will he be giving?|
|She will be giving||She will not be giving||Will she be giving?|
|It will be giving||It will not be giving||Will it be giving?|
|They will be giving||They will not be giving||Will they be giving?|
You might also like: Simple Future Tense
Future Continuous Tense Use
1. Future Continuous Tense is used to describe an action or event in progress at a specified time in the future.
- They will be climbing the Phu Si mountain at this time next Sunday.
- At 12 o’clock tomorrow, my kids will be having lunch at junior school.
- At midnight tonight, we will still be driving through the forest.
2. Future Continuous Tense is used to describe an action, an event that is happening, then another action or event interferes in the future.
- I will be waiting for you when you come tomorrow.
- When you come tomorrow, they will be singing karaoke.
- She will be working at the office when he come tomorrow.
3. Future Continuous Tense is used to describe an action that will continue for a period of time in the future.
- My parents are going to Europe, so I’ll be staying with my cousin for the next 3 weeks.
- I'll be finishing my homework at 6pm tomorrow night, and my mom is going to make dinner for me.
4. Future Continuous Tense is used to describe an action that will happen as part of a plan or part of a timetable.
- The meeting will be starting at 11 o’clock.
- I will be talking at conference room on the next Saturday night.
- You will be serving at the dentist room at 10 o'clock.
Recognition of Future Continuous Tense
The sentence contains the adverb below:
- At this time, at this moment
- All day long
- Next week, next month, next year
The following words are not used in the continuous in general and in the future continuous in particular :
- State: be, cost, fit, mean, suit
- Possession: belong, have
- Senses: feel, hear, see, smell, taste, touch
- Feelings: hate, hope, like, love, prefer, regret, want, wish
- Brain work: believe, know, think, understand
- We are staying at the office in Paris. At this time tomorrow, we (travel) in Dubai.
- When he (come) tomorrow, I (swim) at the swimming pool.
- My cousin (visit) my house at this time next 2 month
- I (sit) on the bus station at 5 o'clock tomorror morning
- At 7 o’clock this evening my friends and I (watch) a famous film at home
- He (play) with his kids at 6 o’clock tomorrow night.
- I (work) at this moment tomorrow.
- We (make) our meeting at this time tomorrow morning.
- My mother _____________ (wait) for my sister at the bus station when she arrives.
- I _____________ (stop) for lunch on my way to the office
- Shakira _____________ (go) to the state tomorrow.
- He_____________ (meet) Linda tomorrow.
- will be travelling
- come – will be swimming
- will be visiting
- will be sitting
- will be watching
- will be playing
- will be working
- will be making
- will be waiting
- will be stopping
- will be going
- will be meeting
Read more: English Grammar
Above is knowledge about the definition, formula, usage, signs, and exercises of the future continuous. Wish you all good study!
Subscribe to the English TV channel on Youtube to improve your English skills!